Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Yellow Pages Blues

There are loads of things about mental health issues that no one consumer could handle in a day. Just going to see a therapist requires a lot of stamina and patience just to get in the door. For instance just last week I wanted to find a therapist again after a long 8 years of not having one. I looked in the yellow pages and started calling. I called most of the "A" section in the book and took a break because I was feeling burnt out. Most receptionists tell you that they would have to call back. Call back? I don't have time to sit and wait for a call back. Why can't I just make an appointment now?

So, while waiting and 4 hours later I called several friends and asked who them would recommend. But there is always a problem with insurance issues. If you have insurance then great you can get in. But like me I have none or little and it doesn't cover this type of service. So I try to get in on a sliding fee scale. I pay as I can, or pay so much down each time. These days in this economic downfall you would be able to find places that would help out just  a little. But no, that is quite impossible. So if you ever do and you are in the great Midwest please let me know.

There is also a wait for services probably in every county in the United States for mental health issues. In the newspaper yesterday I read about the outlaying areas who have to wait for months sometimes years just to get to see a psychiatrist. This is not right.  We shouldn't have to wait for anything. There is also the paper chasing game. I do know that in my hometown and I live in the Capitol State that there are still all those freakin papers you have to fill out. Whatever happen to electronic filing. I don't want to have to keep a book in my purse just so I can give it to each time I want services. This makes for a very frustrating and long day. Something I don't need.Choosing an Online Therapist: A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Professional Help on the Web

 Long story short: I had one call back out of 73 phone calls I put in. One lousy stinking phone call. Just think I have the rest of the yellow pages to go. Pray for me!

No comments: